politics

U.S. military operations killed 153 civilians last year, Pentagon says

Updated on: August 11, 2026 / 7:13 PM EDT / CBS News

U.S. military operations killed 153 civilians last year, Pentagon says

TL;DR

  • A Pentagon report indicates 153 civilians were killed and 243 injured during Operation Rough Rider in Yemen last year.
  • The military did not conduct on-site investigations for its casualty assessments, relying on intelligence and public reporting.
  • The report excludes casualties from controversial strikes on boats in the Caribbean and Pacific oceans.
  • The Pentagon's Civilian Protection Center of Excellence has seen its staff reduced to nine full-time employees, a significant drop from 40.
  • Budget and staffing cuts are also affecting the broader U.S. military program for civilian harm mitigation.
  • Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has expressed a desire to focus on 'lethality' and has criticized military lawyers.
  • The military's commitment to limiting civilian harm is questioned amidst these cuts and policy shifts.