Story
August 18, 2026
Trump’s Korea Drill Cut Turns a Cost-Saving Gesture Into an Alliance Test
Trump says scaling back U.S.-South Korean drills will save money and create diplomatic space with Kim Jong Un, while Seoul, military officials and lawmakers warn it could weaken deterrence as North Korea gains battlefield experience.
President Donald Trump’s order to sharply reduce U.S.-South Korean military exercises has exposed a widening gap between his transactional view of alliances and the security logic behind the drills.
Trump presents the move as both a cost-saving measure and a diplomatic opening to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. He said the exercises were “totally inappropriate and hostile” toward a North Korea that had been “unthreatening and respectful,” while also faulting Seoul for declining to assist the U.S. effort against Iran.1 The decision echoes Trump’s 2018 suspension of major exercises during negotiations with Kim, suggesting that military readiness may again be treated as bargaining leverage.
The administration’s rationale, however, is internally mixed. Trump described the Iran dispute as “somewhat unrelated” even as he linked South Korea’s refusal to help with the decision, making the policy look less like a coherent Korea strategy than a broader test of allied loyalty. Conservative coverage also highlighted Trump’s claim that Seoul had previously agreed to pay billions for its protection and his belief that personal diplomacy with Kim could reduce tensions.2
Seoul has responded more cautiously than confrontationally. President Lee Jae Myung said peace remained the priority but urged preparation for the “worst case scenario,” while his government maintained that the exercises were defensive. He also renewed calls for South Korea to assume wartime operational control of its forces and accelerate independent military capabilities—steps that could make Seoul less dependent on Washington, but also reflect concern about Washington’s reliability.3
Military officials and outside experts see greater immediate risk. They say North Korean troops returning from Russia’s war in Ukraine bring experience with drones, GPS disruption and cyberattacks, precisely the threats the exercises were designed to address.4 Critics in Congress called the cuts shortsighted, warning that reducing training could weaken the alliance and benefit Russia by freeing North Korean forces for its war effort.5
Pyongyang, meanwhile, calls the drills preparations for “an aggressive war” and has threatened retaliation. Yet analysts say scaling them back may not satisfy Kim, while offering uncertain diplomatic gains and a clearer message to allies: U.S. security commitments can be renegotiated on short notice.